The Visual Language of Design
The first module is an introduction to the creative and exciting world of Interior Design.
You will be introduced to the elements and principles of design that are used to create harmonious and balanced interiors.
• Learn how to observe, evaluate and form opinions of different design styles by analysing interior spaces.
• Develop your ‘designer’s eye’ and understand how to apply the knowledge and create inspirational designs for home and work environments.
Welcome To IDI!
How To Use Our Course
What Do I Need?
Software And Devices
What Is Interior Design?
Quotes We Love
Philosophy Of Interior Design
The Visual Language Of Design
Understanding Design Theory
Elements Of Interior Design
Principles Of Design
Proportion And Scale
The History of Style, Decoration and Architecture
This comprehensive module takes you on a fascinating journey, beginning with the origins of decorative finishes seen in cave paintings and ancient dwellings and leads you through the history of design and architecture to the present day.
Full of visual images and information, Module 2 will convey the meanings and messages behind the styles and decorative images you encounter.
• Learn to recognise architectural and decorative details influenced by ancient Greek, Roman and Egyptian architecture, Neo-Classicism and more recent design styles.
• Incorporate these ideas into your designs, adding originality and creativity to your work.
• Gain an appreciation of art and design history and how it will continue to be an influence both in the present and the future.
The History Of Style, Decoration & Architecture
The History Of Architecture
Ancient Egyptian 3000-900BC
Ancient Greek 1000-100BC
Industrial Revolution 1760–1820
Neoclassical Styles 1720-1830
Victorian Architecture And Design 1837–1901
Arts And Crafts Movement 1870-1910
Art Nouveau 1890-1914
Art Deco 1920-1930
De Stijl Movement 1917-1931
Post Modernism 1964
Contemporary – Present Day
In this Module you will learn how to make strategic and conceptual decisions for your design projects based on the desired function, style and mood of the space.
• Develop your knowledge of different structures, common problems and their solutions so that you can communicate clearly with clients, suppliers and tradespeople.
• Evaluate a site and assess existing structures in order to create a master plan and implement your ideas.
• Build your confidence by establishing a framework for completing a project in a professional manner that will ensure a consistent and high-quality result.
• Learn how to visually present ideas to your client, creating sample and mood boards.
Speaking The Language Fluently
Types Of Interior Design Styles
Arts And Crafts
Considering The Site
Building An Aesthetic Plan
How To Visually Present Ideas To Your Client
Interior Design Glossary
Now you will discover how to apply the design elements to your spatial planning and design concepts, considering different furniture layouts to suit the intended function of the space.
• Learn how to draw a floor plan and elevations, then rearrange an existing space and plan a new layout for a renovation project started in this assignment.
• Extend this project in subsequent assignments and develop a lighting plan, colour scheme and finishes.
• Build your first professional portfolio as you complete these exercises.
Space Planning And Proportion
The Next Step In Space Planning
Styling An Existing Room
Residential Building Design
Parts Of A Residential Building
What Is A Floor Plan?
Parts Of The Floor Plan
What Is Spatial Planning?
This module will enable you to discover the sources and properties of light, types of lighting, and how the orientation of a space affects natural lighting.
• Learn how light affects the selection of colours on different surfaces, finishes and fabrics.
• Understand how to communicate your ideas clearly to electricians, builders and suppliers by specifying the correct products suitable for the intended purpose.
• Turn your creative vision into reality by using natural and artificial lighting to create a stunning effect in your interior projects.
• Incorporate these ideas into your plan as you continue with the renovation project that started in Module 4.
Light And How We See
Colour Properties Of Light
Evaluating Natural Light Levels
Sources Of Artificial Light
Types Of Light Fittings
How Light Is Measured
Designing With Light
Types Of Artificial Light
Lighting The Home
The Front Door
Entrance And Hallway
Exterior Light Fittings
Electrical, Lighting And Home Technology
The Smart House
Communicating With Your Builder
Lighting And Electrical Plans
Symbols Used To Create A Reflected Ceiling Plan
This module will introduce you to the power and psychology of colour and how it can be used as a pivotal design tool in your projects.
• Learn about the properties of colour and understand how it can change the mood of a space, alter perceptions and create the intended style. Discover the effect of natural and artificial light on colour and surface textures.
• Use the colour wheel as inspiration and guidance to develop harmonious schemes and gain the confidence to use it effectively. Discover that there are no bad colours, only bad combinations.
• Experience the power of using colour in all aspects of your design projects to trigger different responses; vibrant and uplifting or muted or restful.
• Familiarise yourself with paint systems, products and specification.
• Put together multiple colour schemes to accompany the renovation project from Module 4.
How Design Elements Interrelate
Guidelines For Using Colour
Colour And Light
Colour Psychology & Symbolism
The Emotional Effect Of Colours
Colour Mixing Systems
The Human Eye
Additive Colour Mixing
Subtractive Colour Mixing
The Colour Wheel
Properties Of Colour
Colour Harmony Groups
Creating Successful Colour Schemes
Colour And Perception
Planning A Colour Scheme
Communicating About Colour
How To Specify Colour Accurately
Sampling The Colours
Types Of Paint
Specialty Paint Finishes
Colours On Computers
Interior Paint Colour Viewers And Visualisers
You will learn how to apply the concepts of three-dimensional design to the reality of a finished space.
• Discover the importance of ensuring quality finishes on the floor, walls and ceiling to create a striking and functional backdrop for furnishings and window treatments.
• Gain the product knowledge required to select and specify cost-effective finishes suitable for the intended end use to create a professional and enduring interior space.
• Find out how to plan and project-manage the sequence of floor, wall and ceiling finishes required at different stages of a project.
• Create finish schedules for each room from the renovation project that began at Module 4.
Hard Flooring Surfaces
Natural Stone Products
Soft Flooring Surfaces
Windows And Glass
Kitchen, Bathroom And Laundry Finishes
Natural Stone Options
Splashbacks And Walls
Environmentally Sustainable Design
Choosing Sustainable Materials
Enhance Indoor Environmental Quality
Tips For Creating A Successful Design
Specifications For A Design Project
Decorative Textiles and Fabrics
This informative module introduces you to the history, beauty and luxury of decorative textiles and fabrics.
You will be shown how to appreciate the importance of including items with luxurious and aesthetic appeal as essential components in your design, regardless of the available budget.
• Discover the endless possibilities for using fabrics with style and flair to create eye-catching interior spaces. Gain confidence to apply the elements of design and transform spaces by using textiles, fabrics and other decorative accessories.
• Learn about the technical properties of fabrics and their suitability for different end uses. Understand the functional and aesthetic properties required for bed linen, rugs and decorative textiles.
A Brief History Of Textiles
Patterns And Prints
A Guide To Mixing Patterns
Choosing Fabrics For Interior Design
Eco-Friendly And Organic Fabrics
Curtain And Upholstery Fabric Glossary
Furniture, Art and Accessories
The pinnacle of great design is working with beautiful objects, furniture and art. With reference to Module 2 and the history of Interior Design, you will learn how furniture styles have been developed over the years for specific uses and applications.
• Apply your knowledge of design elements to the reality of placing beautiful objects into perfectly planned and well thought out spaces.
• Experience the sense of achievement when your space planning and elevations come to life.
• Showcase your creative potential with co-ordinated, harmonious interiors.
History, Period & Contemporary Pieces
The Technical Side Of Upholstered Furniture
Applying The Elements & Principles Of Design
Specifying A New Piece
Unique Rug Styles
Working With Clients
This module teaches you the work practices of professional designers. You will be shown the vital procedures and thought processes that bring a design to completion in the real world.
• Learn how to support your creative knowledge with the practical application that ensures success from the start of a project through to completion.
• Ensure that your proposals and management skills will bring work in on schedule and budget for any design project, whether for yourself or for a client.
• Gain confidence to work professionally in the design industry.
The Home Is Where The Heart Is
Reasons For Using An Interior Designer
Building Relationships With Clients
How To Approach A Design Project
Your First Meeting
Questions To Ask
Setting Project Priority
Talking About Money
Your Second Meeting
Visual Design Tools
Priorities For The Second Meeting
Source And Specification
Schedule Of Work
Order Of Tasks
Your Fee Structure
Paperwork For The Interior Designer
Programs To Help With Your Paperwork
Safety On A Construction Site
In this module you will be taught how to document your ideas and designs for clients, contractors and your own reference.
• Learn how to easily create a three-dimensional drawing from floor plans to help visualise the space and make more informed design choices.
• Find out how these drawings can help you win business and then manage the design process.
• Support your documentation with a clear set of drawings to ensure your ideas are interpreted correctly.
• Experience the pleasure of seeing your design concepts spring to life as projects are completed.
Things To Consider
The Design Brief
Drawing: Its Relationship To Your Work
Developing A Concept
Drawing Kitchen Elevations
The Illusion Of 3D
Types Of Perspective Drawings
How To Draw A One-Point Perspective Plan
Setting Up an Interior Design Business
If you are considering making design your career, this may be the decisive chapter that is the stepping stone to your future success.
• See yourself in the context of the design industry.
• Take professional advice from outstanding business consultants who work with creative, respected and successful Interior Designers.
• Benefit from this valuable information regarding business development, business practice and market positioning.
• Learn how to put together a professional portfolio and receive an insight on setting up your own website and social media networks.
Setting Up An Office
Hiring Office Space
Designing Your Office
Drawing Your Plan
Ergonomic Check List For Your Office
Sit & Stand Desk Options
Setting Up Your Business
Business Name And Logo
Word Of Mouth
Getting The Tone Right
Interior Design Career Paths
What You Need When Applying For Work
How To Make A Portfolio
Finding Work In The Field
11 days ago
Great opportunity around full time work…
Great opportunity around full time work for students who have an existing understanding and concept of interior design and want...
12 days ago
A well rounded and professional course, especially with the latest improved updates. I am learning so much and really enjoying...
Shella Joy Ruyeras
14 days ago
I truly enjoy this course at IDI. As you go further the modules it gets more exciting and practical. My...
16 days ago
Great Experience!! I love it!
If you are thinking about taking this course, don’t hesitate. It’s well-constructed and informative. The assignments might be little time...
21 days ago
Really enjoying this course and the…
Really enjoying this course and the flexibility of being able study from home at my own pace. The modules are...
22 days ago
For experienced Interior Designers
IDI covers each and every aspect of interior design from start to finish. It is informative, multi-disciplinary and gives hands-on...
22 days ago
I love this course!!
I love this course!!! My tutor is absolutely wonderful. So knowledgeable and extremely helpful.
24 days ago
The whole course is really informative…
The whole course is really informative and thorough. I've found it inspiring and am looking forward to the next 6...
24 days ago
Great online learning platform
Great online learning platform. Have loved it.
25 days ago
Thoroughly enjoyable, practical and transferable!
I have thoroughly enjoyed each module and learnt so much. I am already getting to apply what I have learnt...
29 days ago
The course is very comprehensive and…
The course is very comprehensive and easy to follow. For anyone interested in exploring Interior Design I highly recommend this...
36 days ago
A reflection to the Interior Design Course
It is a very interesting course for beginners to learn about interior design. The course contents of each module is...
37 days ago
The journey so far..............
So far I can honestly say I am enjoying this journey that I have put myself on. My tutor is...
48 days ago
This course has been fantastic so far…
This course has been fantastic so far and I am loving it. The support from my tutor and the IDI...
49 days ago
The mentors are helpful and I’ve found…
The mentors are helpful and I’ve found the whole institute really easy to deal with. The course is fantastic and...